[drakma-devel] Help with utf-8 (SBCL 1.0.5)

Erik Huelsmann ehuels at gmail.com
Sun May 20 15:02:18 UTC 2007

On 5/20/07, Andrei Stebakov <lispercat at gmail.com> wrote:
> When I make the request like this:
> (drakma:http-request
> "http://www.w3.org/2001/06/utf-8-test/UTF-8-demo.html")
>
> It results in error:
>
> "<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC \"-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN\"
>
> \"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd\
> ">
> <pre>
> UTF-8 encoded sample plain-text file
>
> debugger invoked on a SB-INT:STREAM-ENCODING-ERROR in thread #<THREAD
> "initial t
> hread" {BBDF5A9}>:
>   encoding error on stream #<SB-SYS:FD-STREAM for "standard output"
> {BBDF859}>
>   (:EXTERNAL-FORMAT :ASCII):
>     the character with code 8254 cannot be encoded.
>
>  Type HELP for debugger help, or (SB-EXT:QUIT) to exit from SBCL.
>
> restarts (invokable by number or by possibly-abbreviated name):
>   0: [OUTPUT-NOTHING] Skip output of this character.
>   1: [ABORT         ] Exit debugger, returning to top level.
>
> (SB-INT:STREAM-ENCODING-ERROR
>  #<SB-SYS:FD-STREAM for "standard output" {BBDF859}>
                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>  8254)
> 0]
>

> Is it some parameter that I forgot to call http-request with to make it
> aware of utf-8 encoding?

No. SBCL has detected your terminal doesn't support the characters
you're trying to print, so, it's generating an error.  As you can see
a few lines higher up, the standard output file has an associated
encoding of ASCII, meaning that probably the output of 'locale' on
your system contains LANG=POSIX or LANG=C.

> Thank you,
> Andrew

HTH,

Erik.