Loop while parsing

Sven Emtell sven.emtell at doremir.com
Fri Nov 9 17:08:25 UTC 2018

I have noticed that cxml is looping for a certain combination of xml/dtd. It loops in the recurse function inside compile-content-model in xml-parse.lisp. I cannot fix it myself but I am hoping that somebody else can find a solution using my minimal reproducible case, which can be found at https://doremir.com/files/cxml/xml-test.zip <https://doremir.com/files/cxml/xml-test.zip>.

The xml file from the case looks like this:

<!DOCTYPE a PUBLIC "" "">
<a>
  <c/>
</a>

And the dtd file looks like this:

<!ELEMENT b EMPTY>
<!ELEMENT c EMPTY>
<!ELEMENT a ((b?)*, c?)>

The real world case is from MusicXML parsing and the problematic  xml excerpt looks like this:

<sound tempo="90">
  <offset sound="yes">8</offset>
</sound>

And the corresponding dtd excerpt looks like this:

<!ELEMENT sound ((midi-device?, midi-instrument?, play?)*, offset?)>

I have verified this using version "cxml-2008-11-30" from the Closure XML Parser home page at https://common-lisp.net/project/cxml/index.html and also with the latest version from Quicklisp "cxml-20181018".

By the way, why isn't the latest version downloadable from the Closure XML Parser home page?

Thanks!
Sven