[Cxml-devel] Compilation problem

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 15:22:06 UTC 2014

Aha. I believe you need to update your asdf and/or cl-launch, and the
bug should go away (which versions are you currently using?).

Here's the deal: your version of asdf and/or cl-launch is using
uiop:with-safe-io-syntax in its restore-image hook, as an attempt to
ascertain a standard environment at startup. Now, this macro is a
tweak on top of with-standard-io-syntax, which among other things
binds the *readtable* to the standard readtable, which on compliant
implementations is a _read-only_ readtable implementing just the
standard reader. Now, cxml and many other systems modify the current
readtable with set-dispatch-macro-character and such, and fail in this
setup. It's a bug in cxml and all these systems to modify the current
readtable rather than cleanly define a new one with named-readtables.
But it was also a bug for me in asdf and/or cl-launch to not
backward-compatibly support these buggy systems until they are fixed —
and I believe this bug was fixed after the situation was discussed
earlier this year.

There is an ASDF branch being developed to offer a solution that is
both reasonably safe and reasonably backward-compatible (by having a
formal *shared-readtable* object emulating current behavior and
binding the *readtable* to that around the build), but it hasn't been
merged in yet.

A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.
        — Edward Abbey