[cxml-devel] cxml-rng simplified schema

David Lichteblau david at lichteblau.com
Sun Jun 3 10:58:45 UTC 2007

Quoting Marco Monteiro (masm at acm.org):
> "The resulting schema  object is a representation of a simplified schema
> using Lisp objects, which has gone through most stages of simplification
> as described the Relax NG specification."
>
> What does "through most stages" mean? What are the differences between
> the representation and what is described in the specification?

Sorry, the text is simply wrong. :-)

When I wrote that, cxml-rng did not perform simplification step 4.19.
"define and ref elements" yet.  Since then I fixed it to do so, because
all following simplification steps and restriction checks are much
easier when the spec has been followed completely.

In the released version, there should be no difference.  I will fix the
documentation.

(There are, of course, technical differences between the simplified
grammar as described by the spec (which still uses an XML-like notation
at that point) and the actual implementation (which uses Lisp-objects).
For example, we use a slot called PATTERN-NAME rather than a child
element `name'.  There is also a special DEFN object sitting between REF
and ELEMENT, but the exported API does not show that.)

d.