Aw: problem with example 'dlg02'

Anton Vidovic anton.vidovic at gmx.de
Sat Jan 28 22:44:14 UTC 2023

Hello cage,

I ran your test and can confirm the bug when called from an executable, and basically get the same error:

~/quicklisp/local-projects/test-menu/src$ ./test-menu

#<SB-SYS:MEMORY-FAULT-ERROR {1004DC5E43}>
debugger invoked on a SB-SYS:MEMORY-FAULT-ERROR in thread
#<THREAD "main thread" RUNNING {1001B40003}>:
Unhandled memory fault at #x7FAAD73B7770.

Type HELP for debugger help, or (SB-EXT:EXIT) to exit from SBCL.

restarts (invokable by number or by possibly-abbreviated name):
0: [ABORT] Exit from the current thread.

(DE.ANVI.CROATOAN:ACS :UPPER-LEFT-CORNER)
source: (CFFI:MEM-AREF ACS-MAP-ARRAY 'DE.ANVI.NCURSES:CHTYPE
(CHAR-CODE (CDR (ASSOC CHAR-NAME ACS-ALIST))))
0]

This seems to be at a rather low cffi level issue, I hope that it does not lead to a fundamental bug.

Instead of drawing the higher-level dialog, I have also confirmed it by making the simpler, lower-level ACS example, t12 (from clos.lisp) the main function, and then building that, which unfortunately leads to the same ACS bug:

(defun main ()
(with-screen (scr :input-echoing nil :cursor-visible t :enable-colors t :enable-function-keys t :input-blocking t)
(add-string scr "ACS_ULCORNER ")
(add-char scr (acs :upper-left-corner))
(get-char scr)
(close scr)))

I also am not able any more to run the info msgbox in the irc client, which I've been regularly building over the last months without issues, but now fails due to the same error. The existing 1-2 month old builds work fine and can display dialogs and ACS drawings, but new ones dont, even if I build them with older croatoan versions and older sbcl versions.

I cant say for sure, but it seems to me like an issue with a glibc update over the last weeks. I'll have to check out if the same issues exist on some older machines I have. I have to look if I can replicate it with C code, in which case I will submit to the ncurses mailing list again, the ncurses author is usually very quick to help.

Take care,
Anton