[commonqt-devel] Undefined symbol in libcommonqt

David Lichteblau david at lichteblau.com
Mon Jan 17 11:06:26 UTC 2011

Hi,

Quoting Amyn Bennamane (amynbe at gmail.com):
> Sorry, I am new to mailing lists and forgot to cc the list.
>
> Thank you for the fast answer.
>
> > What version of kdebindings/smoke are you using?
>
> 4.5.5-1

if that means kdebindings from KDE 4.5, it should work.  (At least in
the sense that it is also the version Debian ships, which mostly works
for others.)

> >  Does "ldd
> > libcommonqt.so" show that it links to the right libsmoke*.so files?
>
>  ldd libcommonqt.so | grep smoke
> shows nothing

I can't make sense of that.  Either way, ldd would indicate whether the
linker could find the smoke libraries or not.

Did compilation actually work?

Are there any compilation warnings if you run:
cd commonqt && make clean && qmake && make

>  Are
> > library paths set up so that the linker would also find them at runtime?
> >

> I'm not skilled in library stuff so I 'm not sure I will answer as you
> expect:
> I have 123 libsmoke*.so files in /usr/lib, that is the folder used in the
> CommonQt Makefile (in the -L linker option), so I assume the path is
> correct?

Lacking other options, I'd personally try to uninstall the
system-provided smoke and compile it manually, just to see whether it
makes a difference:

1. git clone git://anongit.kde.org/smokegen
   cd smokegen
   cmake CMakeLists.txt -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/opt/smoke
   make install
   cd ..

2. export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/smoke/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

3. git clone git://anongit.kde.org/smokeqt
   cd smokeqt
   cmake CMakeLists.txt -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/opt/smoke
   make install

4. cd /path/to/commonqt
   make clean
   qmake LIBS=-L/opt/smoke/lib/ INCLUDEPATH=/opt/smoke/include/
   make

Keep in mind that LD_LIBRARY_PATH still needs to be set when invoking
the Lisp later.

ldd output for me is then:

$ ldd libcommonqt.so | grep smoke
        libsmokeqtcore.so.3 => /opt/smoke/lib/libsmokeqtcore.so.3 (0x00007f7e8d1d9000)
        libsmokebase.so.3 => /opt/smoke/lib/libsmokebase.so.3 (0x00007f7e8b123000)