[cltl3-devel] wishlist items

Robert Uhl eadmund42 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 16:35:39 UTC 2009

Daniel Herring <dherring at tentpost.com> writes:

> * Allow packages to specify whether they want case folding.  The ANSI CL
>    reader folds case first, then looks for a match.  I'm aware of a few
>    skunkworks projects which try to reverse that order.  Thus CL::REQUIRE
>    will always fold case, but symbols in package PR could have their case
>    preserved.

I think that setting *PRINT-CASE* to :DOWNCASE goes a long way to
soothing the headaches of a language which defaults to
upcasing...internally everything is upcased but it displays
attractively.

Once that's done a lot of the impetus for playing with case-folding goes
away.  The only nuisance is in using strings to refer to symbols, where
one must actually use "FOO" instead of "foo."

> * Define a standard mapping between pathnames and files on the major OSs.

That's a big and important one indeed.

> * Split CL into smaller packages like CL.ALIST, CL.PLIST, etc.  Use
>    symbol macros for symbols in CL.

What's your rationale there?  Seems like it'd eat up resources without
any real benefit.  But I imagine I'm missing something important:-)

> * Provide a standard way for macros to query type-inferencing info,
>    declarations, etc.

That would be Very Nice Indeed.

> * Introduce a range api, and use it as a standard way to hook any
>    datastructure into MAP*, NTH, etc.  Something like Clojure or D.
>    http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/phobos/std_algorithm.html

Is this the same as generalised sequences?

--
...at the end of the conversation, the guy said `Thanks a lot for
reporting this.  If you need more details on our anti-spam policies,