[cltl3-devel] RFC: CLtL3 Charter

Paul Khuong pkhuong at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 03:46:38 UTC 2009

On 1-Sep-09, at 11:41 PM, Gustavo wrote:
> I believe it would also be possible to implement multiple threading
> that way (using FFI, if it support callbacks (as CFFI does)). But
> I'm not going further on this topic.

No. Even if it were technically possible to implement threading (and
strictly that) portably using FFI, threads are not a library feature.
Threads are a language feature. For threads to be useful and
trustworthy, you must fully specify a boat load of things, from
atomicness of stores to memory barriers and observable store/load
ordering.

Paul Khuong