[cltl3-devel] RFC: CLtL3 Charter

drew.crampsie at gmail.com drew.crampsie at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 20:40:38 UTC 2009

2009/9/1 Ian Mondragon <ian.mondragon at gmail.com>:
> I'll second (or third?) the appreciation of the simplicity.

> Two questions though:

> 1. What exactly does "Editing" in (i) imply? I could guess (esp. with it
> being lumped with "Introspection"), but I'll hold off on assuming
> things...

Basically I'm thinking of the the functionality used by SLIME here.. things
like source-location (for M-.) and the who-calls introspection etc.

If someone has better wording for (i), please speak up.

> 2. While the "OS and Filesystem access" point is one I'm especially keen
> on,
> I'd like to hear what anyone's opinion would be on CLTL3 standardized
> regex
> functionality

Absolutely not :).

> Mr. Weitz's cl-ppcre seems to be fairly widely used & may be
> the *de-facto* standard, but why not take it one step further?

I think the better question is 'why take it further'? Personally, i don't
use regexps that much, so i'm biased.. but...

Is the PERL regexp standard the one we'd like to follow? There is a
perfectly good portable implementation that is an excellent candidate for
inclusion in the 'standard library', so why would CLtL3 need to include its
own description of a defacto standard from another language?

I'd personally much prefer a 'lispy' (read : verbose and understandable)
implementation of regexps then the one from perl, and still wouldn't want
it included as part of CLtL3.. regexps are not simple, and can be
implemented without implementation support, so there is no good reason to
include them in the base language.

Should we also include cl-awk? How about an infix macro? an SQL syntax
library? A parser generator? why cl-ppcre over any of those?

Edi himself has spoken against the idea of 'standardising' on cl-ppcre (i
can't find the reference right now), and IIRC his reasoning was similar to
mine.

So, to turn the question around, how would including cl-ppcre help meet the
goals of the project as outlined in the charter?

Again, i'll be your devil's advocate for the duration of these discussions,
so please don't assume i'm dismissing this outright... but the questions
and reasoning behind my arguments are valid... so i'd love to hear
counter-arguments. Just to give you some ammo, ANSI included FORMAT and
LOOP, and similar arguments could have been (and were) made against them.

Cheers,

drewc