[cltl3-devel] RFC: CLtL3 Charter

Drew Crampsie drewc at tech.coop
Tue Sep 1 17:21:47 UTC 2009

2009/9/1 Gustavo <gugamilare at gmail.com>:
> Hello,
>
> I also like to keep things simple. Here are a few suggestions, though.
>
> In paragraph 4, you didn't mention "sockets" explicitly in the list. I don't
> know if that is intended to be included in "Networking", because Unix
> sockets are local to the computer.

To be quite honest, i don't know if CLtL3 actually needs sockets or
networking. If we have FFI and extensible streams, we can build
sockets and networking as library code.. right? I'm interested in
hearing dissent on this one.

> A few more topics that could be discussed:
>
> (j) Interface to Environments, which is needed in a macro walker (e.g.
> cl-walker accesses lexical environments using implementation specific
> functions).

I'm interested in this as well... but macroexpand-dammit shows one
doesn't need environments to do a portable walker. However, most lisps
have CLtL2 environments at least, so i'll add this to the list.

> (k)Custom Hash Functions and Hashtable Test (SBCL's extensions).

This is covered by a CDR, and so is on the list already.

> (l) Weak Pointers, Weak Hashtables and Garbage Collector (like in
> trivial-garbage).

Right, i was just thinking about these last night. added.

> And, by the way, "omission" have only one "m".

Damnit... i've been spelling that word wrong my entire life and just
found out now! thanks :)

drewc