[clpython-devel] CMUCL now also supported

Jason Nielsen jdn at math.carleton.ca
Sat Jan 17 21:48:07 UTC 2009

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009, Willem Broekema wrote:

>> Any hint of what the next steps for clpython are?  Just curious ;-)!
>
> A few things that play:
>
> - Getting the shootout benchmark running
> <http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/>. The result of the tests that can
> be run is that CLPython performance is not bad, but CPython is on
> average a bit faster.

Interesting!  Do you think this is because most of the CPython code in the
benchmark relies on library functions that are compiled C code?

Have you thought about adding optional types to CLPython (a.l.a. PEP 3107
in Python 3.0)?  If these expanded to type declarations in common lisp I
think the performance could be improved significantly.... all speculation
of course!

> - Running Sympy, a big pure-Python project, to show language
> completeness. Attempting this lead already to many small fixes and
> conversion of required Python standard library files.

Sweet... and something I'd find quite useful to boot!

> - A future goal is to have an Emacs IDE for Python based on Slime. In
> particular I'd like to have a great debugger for stepping through
> Python code. If anyone has good ideas or wishes for this, let me know.

Sounds great!  Thanks for the list of goodness to come.

Jason