[clpython-devel] Status?

Willem Broekema metawilm at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 20:19:09 UTC 2008

On Jan 15, 2008 10:07 PM, Rudolf <omouse at gmail.com> wrote:
> Heya, I just stumbled upon CLPython today. What's the status of it? Is there
> *any* sort of development going on?

There is still progress in CLPython, but that's only visible if you
keep an eye on CVS commits. To get an impression of the language
completeness, please look at the test suite. The website on
common-lisp.net needs an update (conditional expressions and the
"with" statement are already supported). I'll try to update the
website in the weekend.

> What would be a good place, for a CL newbie, to start adding functionality
> from this list: http://common-lisp.net/project/clpython/status.html

In another mail you wrote that you'd like to use CLPython in other
Lisps like SBCL. Maybe then a good starting point is the parser.
Allegro comes with its own version of yacc, while cl-yacc is available
as open source. In file /parser/grammar-clyacc.lisp the grammar rules
for cl-yacc are defined. The grammar can be compiled, but parsing
fails, often with errors of the kind:

clpython(10): (clpython.parser:parse "a = 3" :yacc-version :cl-yacc)
Error: Unexpected terminal clpython.ast.token:identifier (value
clpython.user::a)
Expected one of: nil
  [condition type: yacc-parse-error]

If you could look into fixing this, that would be a nice first step
towards portability.
Thanks for your interest!

- Willem