[closure-devel] Closure HTML

David Lichteblau david at lichteblau.com
Sun Oct 7 21:48:20 UTC 2007

Hi,

there are now two new projects:

  - Closure HTML:

    Closure's HTML parser and some of its dependencies; previously a
    part of Closure.

    http://common-lisp.net/project/closure/closure-html/

  - Closure Common

    Everything needed by both Closure HTML and Closure XML; basically
    the packages runes and runes-encodings.  Previously a part of cxml,
    now a separate module in cxml CVS.

    http://www.cliki.net/closure-common

Picture of the dependencies:

                          Closure
	              /             \
		     v               v
		Closure HTML       Closure XML (cxml)
		     \              /
		      v            v

                      Closure Common

Ultimately, both Closure Common and Closure HTML will be released as
asdf-installable tarballs, but at this point Closure HTML is not quite
in a form that I would like to release officially.

Before a release is done I would like to see:
  - documentation
  - test cases, in particular to make sure that character runes work
  - good serialization support (like cxml has, only for HTML instead)
  - an add-on library allowing Closure HTML to be used with XML's
    in-memory representations for XHTML

Some of you might already have seen `trivial-html-parser' by Ignas
Mikalaj#nas, also a stand-alone version of Closure's HTML parser.

My new Closure HTML project is based on Ignas' work (thanks to him for
getting that started), but differs from it in some respects:

  - the new archive includes all history

  - so far, I have preserved closure's original directory structure

  - trivial-html-parser still had all of glisp, which I have reduced to
    only those functions necessary (still including gstreams though).
    The remaining package is called HTML-GLISP to avoid conflicts with
    the real GLISP package in Closure.  The latter imports
    gstream-related symbols from the former for re-export.

  - Mime support is in a separate package, so that closure's netlib,
    from which is was taken, can now :use that package instead.

  - last but not least, a different name.  (The "trivial" in
    trivial-html-parser would not do this code base justice at all.)

d.