[closer-devel] Adding dynamic-wind to ContextL

Tobias C. Rittweiler tcr at freebits.de
Fri Nov 13 09:09:20 UTC 2009

Pascal Costanza <pc at p-cos.net> writes:

> + Do you mean "Can I provide dynamic-wind as a separate library,
> + without adding all that layered stuff in the same library as well?"
> + I think I potentially could, but I'm hesitating to do so. Library
> + granularity is a problematic thing: If you make your libraries too
> + small, you create lots of dependencies that people somehow have to
> + manage (including the maintainers of the library, but also users of
> + the library). If you create them too large, users load a lot of code
> + into their application that they ultimately don't need.
>
> I have already got complaints in the past that I had too many
> dependencies (that's why I removed the lw-compat from Closer to MOP
> library, for example). So: Is it really worthwhile to separate out
> dynamic-wind? Does it hurt so much to load the rest of ContextL even
> if you don't need it?

I can relate to that. I'd be fine if the dynamic-wind stuff came in its
own defsystem, but is distributed with ContextL. It's like the "use the
most specific function" rule of thumb.

(That said, I think I could just :import-from dynamic-wind from
contextl.)

  -T.

PS.

http://common-lisp.net/project/closer/downloads.html still says that