[closer-devel] ContextL in web programming

Pascal Costanza pc at p-cos.net
Tue May 27 21:04:02 UTC 2008

On 27 May 2008, at 01:58, Sohail Somani wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I recall Pascal was interested in Weblocks for some context-oriented
> programming. Having experience with Weblocks, I think it could
> definitely use something like ContextL but I don't think Pascal made
> his code available anywhere.

Indeed. The main reason is that the code is partially covered by an
NDA. But I have the general permission now to give demos of the
software. I hope I will be able to do this soon.

However, the combination of Weblocks and ContextL is not along the
lines of what one would typically expect, but it is rather quite
different - the context dependency is more in the application logic
rather than in the presentation.

> But I wonder: how would you incorporate ContextL into web
> programming? I can definitely think of a couple of places where it
> would be useful, one being the always present edit/view contexts. I
> guess my question is whether anyone has done this and can show me an
> example.

I see uses for adapting a website to the context / preferences of the
user. I'm still a bit worried about the lack of being able to adapt
single objects to the context of use, not only complete classes. But
we have something new, to be presented at DLS 2008, and I think that
could get us a step closer in that direction...

Sorry, if this is all not of immediate help...

Pascal

--
Pascal Costanza, mailto:pc at p-cos.net, http://p-cos.net
Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Programming Technology Lab