[closer-devel] GF Invocation Protocol - state of the union?

Slava Akhmechet coffeemug at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 16:51:38 UTC 2007

Recently I ran into a problem that needs some features from gf
invocation protocol. I can't seem to figure out the status of this.

Does compute-discriminating-function work on OpenMCL? Some people say
it's in 1.1 prerelease. Is this the case? Is it safe to rely on it
working properly? If not, is there documentation of OpenMCL's protocol
somewhere? Perhaps they expose other interfaces that allow similar
semantics?

Is make-method-lambda supported on OpenMCL, ACL and CLisp? If not, do
they offer alternative interfaces? I need to inject some code into
method bodies of generic functions defined with a particular
metaclass. So far the only way to do it that I can think of (aside
from totally redefining defmethod or using a different macro
explicitly) is to specialize make-method-lambda. Are there other ways?
It seems that people would want to do this pretty often, yet
make-method-lambda barely has any support.

And finally, is it possible/planned to bridge the gap for these
features in Closer?

--
Regards,
Slava Akhmechet.