[closer-devel] define-layered-method syntax

Pascal Costanza pc at p-cos.net
Thu Jul 19 23:38:55 UTC 2007

On 20 Jul 2007, at 01:12, Attila Lendvai wrote:

>> Then what about :before, :after methods?  What syntax they would use?
>
> the syntax would be almost the same as defmethod, with an exception
> that name may be a list, in which case its second element is the layer
> name.

Common Lisp already has a notion of function names as lists, in the
form of '(setf function-name). So that case would have to be covered
as well.

I would not like to go that route because I recall reading other
discussions about extending acceptable function names, with some
ideas about other indicators beyond 'setf. I prefer not to create
opportunities for potential clashes here.

Of course, your suggestion would have the advantage that it saves
some space. I have already been hit by this a couple of times, trying
to fit examples of layered methods in papers. ;) In your experience,
how much better is your proposed syntax?

Cheers,
Pascal

--
Pascal Costanza, mailto:pc at p-cos.net, http://p-cos.net
Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Programming Technology Lab