[closer-devel] To cache or not to cache

Pascal Costanza pc at p-cos.net
Mon Oct 30 12:28:20 UTC 2006

Hi everyone,

I have gotten some feedback on our paper about "Reflective Layer
Activation in ContextL", and it seems that one bit is unclear in
particular.

The functions activate-layer-using-class / deactivate-layer-using-
class don't have any side effects on the running system. They just
compute the respective effective set of layers that should be active
depending on the parameters they receive. ContextL then takes care of
the necessary side effects to make these layer indeed active. That's
why these functions can also have a second return value to indicate
whether the result can be cached or not.

I have added a paragraph in the paper that hopefully makes this
clearer. So thanks for the feedback.

It now occurs to me that something like compute-effective-layers-
using-class would have been a better name. However, such a name
wouldn't distinguish between the activation and deactivation case.
Does anyone have a better idea?

Cheers,
Pascal

--
Pascal Costanza, mailto:pc at p-cos.net, http://p-cos.net
Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Programming Technology Lab