[closer-devel] Reflective Layer Activation in ContextL

Attila Lendvai attila.lendvai at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 17:54:02 UTC 2006

> i was also doing some _very_ quick and dirty performance measurements with
> the new metacopy and indeed there was no significant difference between the
> simple and the contextl version.
>

> Good to know. It was more an accident that I happened to find a way to
> implement this efficiently, but I also think this is important for general
> acceptance.

i'm sure you know much more about these, but maybe you have not heard of
Slate. in vague terms it's a lisp with smalltalk syntax where the atoms are
objects (with prototype based multiple dispatch) not cons cells. (the most
important addition of slate is that you dynamically annotate any object, no
matter who created it, which will be a very important feature of future
systems imho)

(before the bootstrepping) there was 'subjective dispatch' in it. there was
an implicit first and last argument for each function call, where the first
was called layer and the last was called subject. after the bootstrap it was
temporarily dropped because it made the method chaching and inlining much
more difficult. unfortunately since then slate is an abandoned project.

so why isn't there a 'subject' for contextl? not that i ever missed it, i'm
just curious. and because of this feel free to send a short answer... :)

--
- attila

"- The truth is that I've been too considerate, and so became
unintentionally cruel...
- I understand.
- No, you don't understand! We don't speak the same language!"
(Ingmar Bergman - Smultronstället)