[closer-devel] Re: using a custom unbound slot marker

Pascal Costanza pc at p-cos.net
Wed Nov 1 15:49:36 UTC 2006

On 1 Nov 2006, at 16:26, Christophe Rhodes wrote:

> Nikodemus Siivola <nikodemus at random-state.net> writes:
>
>> * set-funcallable-instance-fun, but no funcallable-instance-fun
>
> Actually I think this one is at least marginally justified; specifying
> a funcallable-instance-function function invalidates a historically
> used implementation strategy for funcallable instances.  (As it turns
> out, the historical implementation strategy is inherently not
> threadsafe in a natively-threaded environment, but that's not to say
> that that implementation strategy is universally bad.)

I agree with Christophe here. You can also always call compute-
discriminating-function if you need a current version of the
discriminating function. In general, it's better to use the function
itself rather than its instance-function.

Pascal

--
Pascal Costanza, mailto:pc at p-cos.net, http://p-cos.net
Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Programming Technology Lab