[closer-devel] Re: Layered function troubles

Pascal Costanza pc at p-cos.net
Sun Mar 5 14:24:31 UTC 2006

On 20 Feb 2006, at 18:10, Nick Bourner wrote:

> Hmm. In case anyone else has a similar problem, the blindingly
> stupid mistake was sloppy programming on my part. I had assumed
> that define-layered-method worked the same as defmethod, so I could
> get away without using define-layered-function first because define-
> layered-method would do it for me, especially since I got a warning
> saying that the generic function had implicitly been created. Bad
> assumption. It all works fine as long as you remember to use define-
> layered-function to create the generic first.

I have tried to make it work that you don't need so say (define-
layered-function ...), but unfortunately, the CLOS MOP does not allow
me to express this - at least, it's not obvious to me how to do that.
(There are some subtleties wrt the :argument-precedence-order
argument to ensure-generic-function that are not that nice to deal
with...)

Sorry...

Pascal

--
Pascal Costanza, mailto:pc at p-cos.net, http://p-cos.net
Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Programming Technology Lab