Some questions about the CL

Michał "phoe" Herda phoe at disroot.org
Mon Feb 20 12:43:49 UTC 2023

1a) If you mean the implementations, these get regular maintenance,
releases, and support.

1b) If you mean the standard/specification, there's no one to update it
- writing a new specification like that would mean a lot of time and
costs and people.

1c) But updating the spec is still the *easy* part - getting *adoption*
is the hard part. And there is very little practical need to adopt a new
version of Common Lisp, since ANSI CL survived the test of time rather
well. Adopting a new language revision would mean updating all the CL
code for a new version, and that would take a lot of work that hardly
anyone would be willing to perform.

2) Both of these are "unofficial" websites since there is no one entity
to "own" the language. One is a website of the Common Lisp Foundation, a
non-profit who serves as a body for organizing Lisp stuff and hosting
some common infrastructure; another is a "fan" website describing the
basics.

3) Clojure is a completely different language. It's inspired by CL, it's
also a Lisp, but it's wildly different in lots of places.

4) There's none that gained practical significance while also being
similar enough to CL to be called an updated CL rather than its own
dialect (like Clojure or Carp or Janet or Racket). The language is
perfectly usable as it is and many people claim it simply doesn't need
an upgrade.