Simplifying hosting services (aka "breaking up the monolith")

Erik Huelsmann ehuels at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 22:54:46 UTC 2022

Hi all,

> I'll move the hosted projects to:
>
>    https://<project>.common-lisp.dev/
>
> (I acquired common-lisp.dev for this purpose this morning.)

Yesterday, i succeeded to set up common-lisp.dev with a wildcard cert
from Letsencrypt (thanks EFF!) based on DNS authentication. Today,
I've succeeded to change the GitLab Pages setup to serve pages under
*.common-lisp.dev instead of *.pages.example.com (which is what I set
up on Monday to fix the pages deployment problems).

The above means that everybody can create personal and project sites
under "common-lisp.dev" as of today. Projects that are currently using
a *-site repository need to have their repository renamed to
"*.common-lisp.dev" to be able to benefit from this new
infrastructure.

An example is the cl-tar/cl-tar-site project that Eric Timmons created
recently for his CL-TAR project. I've used it (with his permission) as
a guinea pig. The repository has been renamed (it's now
https://gitlab.common-lisp.net/cl-tar/cl-tar.common-lisp.dev); you can
find its contents at https://cl-tar.common-lisp.dev/.

Next steps will be:

* Renaming existing *-site repositories to benefit from the new
common-lisp.dev infrastructure
  --> I'll do this myself, because there are only a few repositories
that need renaming and it reduces the period where the site is "in
flux".
* Serve the remaining content from the filesystem in
/project/*/public_html/ from *.common-lisp.dev/
* Add pointers to the GitLab Pages documentation on how to set up
project pages, group pages and personal pages
  --> I can use a hand here: anybody who can review our current site
and add articles on how to use GitLab Pages for each of the three
mentioned types of sites, *and* explain how to do so in a lispy way,
would be urgently requested to help out.
* Move websites of projects that currently aren't using gitlab pages,
into gitlab pages.
* Do generic cleanup on the host's filesystem

In summary: over the coming days, your repository may be renamed. I'll
be the cause of that. This only applies to repositories which are
named <group_name>/<group_name>-site. In the mean time, you can play
around and create your own

http://efficito.com -- Hosted accounting and ERP.
Robust and Flexible. No vendor lock-in.