Jenkins expertise?

Erik Huelsmann ehuels at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 21:50:41 UTC 2020

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 14, 2020 at 5:51 PM Eric Timmons <etimmons at mit.edu> wrote:

> https://gitlab.common-lisp.net/asdf/asdf/-/merge_requests/146 uses
> cl.net's shared Gitlab CI runners. It appears that the shared runner can
> only run one job at a time, so the pipeline that MR introduces takes
> close to an hour to run (and that's only testing with four
> implementations). I also suspect no pipelines from other projects were
> running at the time.

I've increased the number of jobs this runner can run concurrently to 3,
because the VM currently has 3 cores configured. If we need to configure
more, let me know and I'll have a look at it.

> If the CLF or someone else can provide additional runners for ASDF's
> use, that would be a nice way to cut down on pipeline time and avoid
> impacting other projects.

There is also a machine provisioned for cl-test-grid. It's idle often, just
not when a new Quicklisp release has been released. If cl-test-grid could
be driven by GitLab CI,  it would be easy to share the resources this
machine has to spare. In that case, I think 2 extra cores would be
available for running tests. It would be even better if others would step
up to donate their cores.

> However, as much as I love Gitlab CI, the "core" tier of it (what I
> /believe/ cl.net runs) does have some limitations that, given my limited
> Jenkins knowledge, a properly configured Jenkins setup wouldn't have.
>
> First, the core tier is unable to test against the merged result of an
> MR.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Do you mean that the CI wouldn't run
tests/builds on the master branch after merging an MR?

What I do know that works: The current common-lisp.net site is being built
after each merge to the master branch of that repository and the artifacts
of the build used to publish the site.

> I don't think that one's a deal breaker as any CI is better than
> none at all, issues are unlikely if the merge has no conflicts, and any
> issues would be quickly found after the merge completed (and either
> fixed or rolled back). Alternatively, ASDF could enforce (via Gitlab)
> that MRs need to be rebased on to the target branch, effectively making
> the source branch equivalent to the merged result.
>
> The tougher one to work around is caused by the forking model of
> contributing code. Forks are unable to use their parent's CI runners and
> the pipelines for MRs from forks are run in the CI context of the
> fork. So if ASDF has special runners for the licensed implementations
> they can't be used until the MR is merged. Additionally, the pipelines
> before merging will be slow as they'll be using the cl.net shared CI
> runners.

If we can disable artifacts on the ASDF runners, we might be able to use a
somewhat more liberal assignment of runners to project members: if the
artifacts can't be extracted, the options for abuse will become more
limited.

> There are a couple of ways to deal with the second issue, but they all
> have their drawbacks. The best way would likely be to pull contributions
> from forks into a separate branch in the parent repo before merging to
> master. That would allow any ASDF specific runners to do their job, but
> would require some extra steps from the maintainers. (And contributors
> would just have to deal with their jobs running slowly before the
> merge). I'm sure a sufficiently motivated person could even write a
> Gitlab CI job that auto merged to master from this testing branch if the
> tests all pass.

That would work too. Let me know what more we can research or I can help
with to help solve this issue.

> -Eric

Regards,

http://efficito.com -- Hosted accounting and ERP.