Trac on common-lisp.net

Erik Huelsmann ehuels at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 19:30:50 UTC 2020

Hi,

The VM running common-lisp.net needs an O/S upgrade: the host is running
Debian Stretch which has gone EOL in July (but is receiving LTS updates for
specific components). Due to package compatibility issues, the upgrade
needs to go directly to Debian Bullseye (skipping Debian Buster).

We have a dependency problem with this upgrade: Debian Buster - which we'll
skip - was the last to support Python 2.7. We depend on Python 2.7 for the
following services: Trac, Mailman2.1, ViewVC and greylistd. All other
services either don't depend on Python, or have Python3 compatible versions
in Debian Bullseye. For Mailman2.1 we have a "simple" solution: migration
to Mailman3. Mailman3 is a totally new application coming from the
developers of Mailman2.1. For greylistd we will be able to either find an
alternative or we can stop greylisting entirely. For ViewVC, we hope to see
a release soonish which supports Python3 (and its inclusion in Debian); in
its repository, there's support for Python3 already, as is the required
Python3 support for the Subversion bindings.

This leaves us with just Trac which has been removed from Debian because of
its Python 2.7 dependency. Looking at its homepage, there doesn't seem to
be a Python3 compatible release yet. I really want to be running OS
packages, because those include (security) releases when issues are found
-- which saves the common-lisp.net manual monitoring of our dependencies.

These projects have Trac projects:

    armedbear
    bknr
    cl-darcs
    cl-irc
    cl-markdown
    cl-openid
    cl-test-grid
    cl-trane
    cl-weblocks
    clfswm
    clo
    cmucl
    elephant
    f2cl
    fset
    gsharp
    isidorus
    mcclim
    movitz
    nio
    oct
    ucw
    usocket

So what's our next step? Do we go looking for a Trac alternative? Does
anybody have contacts with the Trac team and can consult with them about
their plans?

Regards,

http://efficito.com -- Hosted accounting and ERP.
Robust and Flexible. No vendor lock-in.