Proposal: project pages deployment through GitLab

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Wed Nov 18 09:29:50 UTC 2020

> On Oct 26, 2018, at 17:23, Erik Huelsmann <ehuelsmann at common-lisp.net> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> As you all have noticed, I've been working to clean up common-lisp.net and simplifying the administration process.
>
> One of the things we have done is that we implemented a deployment pipeline for the common-lisp.net main site using GitLab. It's been a great joy to work with it so far and made deployment of new site content easier than ever before.
>
> My proposal is to set up a GitLab CI based deployment pipeline for all common-lisp.net projects. Meaning that I'm proposing to import the current project pages (/project/*/public_html) into GitLab repositories (<project-name>-site) with a gitlab-ci file which causes the content to be published.
>
> The approach above will mean simple import of the existing static content. However, after import, the static output can be replaced by different input and a static content generator, just like we did with the common-lisp.net site.

[Sorry about the late response here.  I think I pinged you on IRC about this,
but then I am repeating myself here for public record.]

Would it be possible to blacklist a given project from this process?

I would have some difficulties migrating the ‘armedbear’ project to this
scheme:

1.  The ‘armedbear’ project uses a single svn repository for its website
content as well as its source code.   The website content also contains all the
binary releases for the project.  While not huge by contemporary standards, the
idea of importing all these binary releases into a git repository seems like
the wrong path for future-proofing.

2.  Using gitlab pages would impact the current release engineering process in
unknown ways.  I wouldn’t anticipate that there would be too much of an impact
in adapting, but change, you know?

sincerely, Mark

--
"A screaming comes across the sky.  It has happened before but there is nothing
to compare to it now."