Upgrading our host to Debian Buster

Philipp Marek philipp at marek.priv.at
Wed Jun 26 08:42:54 UTC 2019

Sorry about the late reply.

> Since we'll need to migrate our old mailing list archives to this new
> infrastructure (and preferably keep the URLs stable), the migration may
> be
> quite a bit of work to prepare. So, I'm looking for people who can help
> out: find out which *exact* steps we have to go through to get minimal
> downtime on an upgrade and get back to a stably running system on
> return.

The mailman archives are currently split up by month.

If the same is true with MailMan 3 as well, how about creating/importing
the mailing lists as a parallel structure in MailMan 3 and, with a month
switchover, switch the postfix routing to MailMan 3?

As a second (independent) step we can Redirect the HTTP URLs for new
archives to the new (parallel) location. (And find some way to merge the
new and old Archive pages, but that might "just" be a perl script).

I'm proposing that because I've known someone who did a mailman
switchover in the past (though not 2=>3), and it was a real PITA to keep
the URLs stable. (Not sure whether they ended up with a big Rewrite
table?!).

This here sounds like a least-risk solution -- we can even have postfix
deliver mail to _both_ mailman installations at the same time, to be
able to switch back as a fallback path.