Proposal: project pages deployment through GitLab

Erik Huelsmann ehuelsmann at common-lisp.net
Tue Oct 30 20:57:17 UTC 2018

On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 9:17 PM Dave Cooper <david.cooper at genworks.com>
wrote:

> From what I understand, the proposed deployment mechanism just means that
> we will have to push static site content to a git repository, then a
> pipeline will automatically put the files in the right place for serving.
> This is instead of another option which would be using ftp/scp/rsync to put
> the files to the correct location directly.

That's correct.

> So we're depending on git, as well as the automatic deployment pipeline
> which is set up through gitlab.

That's correct too.

> From the user's perspective, if gitlab falls out of fashion next year,
> there will be some other mechanism for doing the pipeline, and the pushing
> to git will remain the same (i.e. the user wouldn't see any difference).

Absolutely.

> If, in two years, git falls out of fashion, then the user will push their
> static files similarly using some other revision system other than git
> (likely with a similar workflow), so again it should not result in much
> disruption.

That's what I'd say, yes.

> Question: will there be an opportunity in the pipeline to call e.g. "sbcl"
> in order to process the files, similar to what we are doing with c-l.net
> itself?

Yes. You can definitely do more than just move your files into place: Just
last night, I've built all of Quickref with our pipeline and had GitLab put
it in the deployment location (for my testing purposes):
http://new-quickref.common-lisp.net/

If you favorite content generator, Lisp or Golang tool isn't readily
available, we can support installing those, or you can simply depend on the
Docker images for your favorate tool (which GitLab will automatically grab
for you).

> Or will the pipeline be limited just to moving already-prepared static
> files into the correct location?

No. Absolutely not. The purpose is to help people with consistent
deployment environments and for those who already worked with Git, to
simplify deployment by offloading the deployment process to GitLab (which
removes the need to build a site and then install it through scp or ssh
after that, because GitLab takes care of both steps).

Regards,

Erik.