Using your Common Lisp website

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Thu Jun 7 06:36:24 UTC 2018

> On May 22, 2018, at 16:44, Mariano Montone <marianomontone at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> El 16/05/18 a las 04:12, Mark Evenson escribió:
>
>> I’ll try to get back to you in the next couple days about next intermediate steps.  Please ping me next week if you haven’t heard from me.

Mariano,

Yesterday, I presented your work on redesigning the common-lisp.net to the Common Lisp Foundation board.  As I expected, everyone was very enthusiatic about moving forward with deploying this work as the new basis for the site.

We drafted the following plan:

1.  Merge your work back to the clo/cl-site as the master branch

2.  Set up a testing instance of our web site that watches a given branch in the clo/cl-site for changes, and then automatically publishes these changes as web pages

3.  Spend a couple weeks iteratively working on that branch to edit content and fix the minor technical details

4.  When we are satisfied with the results, we will then move the testing instance over to the main site.

The question from our side:  how involved would you like to be in this process?

Even if you do nothing further, we will certainly publically credit you as the person who re-designed the common-lisp.net website.  But we would love to have your continued input and help, as quite frankly, your HTML/CSS/JS skills are quite a bit better than anything we can muster!

If you wish to help further, what I would suggest would be to just hang tight until we get the test site up (within the next week), and are able to publish automatically when one pushed to a designated branch within GitLab.  At that point, I can assemble a list of outstanding issues that would need to be addressed before launch.  Again, these “issues” are mostly changes the CLF wishes to make to the text describing common-lisp.net so we can handle most of this.   Almost all of your contributions to listing cool Common Lisp resource, linking YouTube videos, linking IRC chat transcripts are all already light years ahead of what we currently have, so if you wanted to refine them, fine.  But even as is, they are a fantastic improvement over what we currently have.

One cross-cutting technical change that we may need involves our compliance with the EU GDPR.  We don’t currently use cookies to track anything, nor do we intentionally analyze any logs, but I don’t know if we are required to state this.  We certainly can’t do a popup, because we can’t track whether we have previously served a popup to a given user.  So, I think that GDPR compilance can be satisfied by a statement somewhere that we don’t collect or use data, but again, I have to check the legal status.

In any case, thank you very much for your excellent contribution to the common-lisp.net cause, and we would very much like to work with you in the future.

Sincerely,
Mark Evenson
Secretary of the Common Lisp Foundation