Time to consolidate static project pages into GitLab?

Vladimir Sedach vsedach at oneofus.la
Tue May 9 20:16:52 UTC 2017

SourceForge is a very good example of why common-lisp.net should
continue to provide repository hosting and you should host your
projects' official repositories on c-l.net and encourage others to do
the same.

In 2013 SourceForge was acquired by Dice Holdings, who proceeded to do
things like infect downloadable binaries with spyware and adware.
Fortunately for SourceForge users it was again sold to another
company in 2016 who stopped the adware. For now.

I made the mistake of moving some of my projects' official repositories
to github in 2012, and plan to move them back to c-l.net this year. You
can always use github as another remote and get the benefits of their
pull request interface.

In the long run having a non-profit entity like common-lisp.net provide
Free Software hosting is a lot less work than dealing with "free"
accounts from for-profit corporations that can modify or take away the
service at any time (Google Code is a good example here).

Vladimir