Working on system upgrade

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Tue Jun 20 13:21:34 UTC 2017

On 6/20/17 11:54, Erik Huelsmann wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 9:11 AM, Mark Evenson <evenson at panix.com> wrote:
>

>> On 6/18/17 15:38, Erik Huelsmann wrote:
>> […]
>>
>>> I've removed quite a few packages indeed (from the current production
>>> system, that is): all packages related to the X11 (server) have been
>>> removed. So have most LaTeX and LuaTeX packages. The idea behind this
>> step
>>> is that the access provided by Common-Lisp.net is merely provided to
>>> support uploading and maintaining the static html pages -- my assumption
>> is
>>> that that has little relationship to being able to start a desktop
>>> environment or graphics environment.
>>>
>>> If you miss packages that you depend on, don't hesitate to speak up.
>> Please
>>> explain what you need them for and I'll make them available again.
>>
>> […]
>>
>> I appreciate the effort to get to Debian Stretch, but common-lisp.net
>> also functions as a shell host
>

> Indeed I have noticed some very-long running sessions on your account in
> the past. Looking at the page which lists services to our projects (
> https://common-lisp.net/project-intro/), I think your use of the host is
> unsupported (as in: I can't find it as a listed service). We currently use
> shell sessions to run lisppaste and cliki, but I think that with the
> introduction of `systemd`, we can probably move those to be run as "user
> services" instead. Based on that, I was expecting the system not to have
> long-running shell sessions anymore.

Well, I need a shell host to perform tasks for common-lisp.net
maintainence.  As such, I install tools I can't get from Debian in
<file://common-lisp.net/usr/home/mevenson/local/>.  screen I know, so
please retain.

[…]

> Can I ask in what way the shell sessions you use need to be a generic
> service to support the common lisp community (and what role does GCC play
> in it)?

Maintaining support via IRC channels, and being able to answer the
occacsional support request in the same Emacs.

[…]

is nothing to compare to it now."