Working on system upgrade

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Tue Jun 20 07:11:21 UTC 2017

On 6/18/17 15:38, Erik Huelsmann wrote:
[…]

> I've removed quite a few packages indeed (from the current production
> system, that is): all packages related to the X11 (server) have been
> removed. So have most LaTeX and LuaTeX packages. The idea behind this step
> is that the access provided by Common-Lisp.net is merely provided to
> support uploading and maintaining the static html pages -- my assumption is
> that that has little relationship to being able to start a desktop
> environment or graphics environment.
>
> If you miss packages that you depend on, don't hesitate to speak up. Please
> explain what you need them for and I'll make them available again.

[…]

I appreciate the effort to get to Debian Stretch, but common-lisp.net
also functions as a shell host and therefore needs more than uploading
and maintaining the static html pages.  To that end, I have reinstalled
system-wide screen and gcc to continue with my use of the host.

In the future, we should probably have a explicit whitelist of who is
using what package.  Is there somewhere that I can record the list of
Debian packages on common-lisp.net that I am "actively" depending upon
to prevent their removal in the future?

A question:  do you intend to retain 'file://common-lisp.net/srv/'
hierarchy, or will that be absorbed into the redoing of the
'https://gitlab.common-lisp.net/clo/server-config/' hierarchy.

It would be nice to update documentation on what systems we are using,
and how.  We have started to document things in the Trac wiki
<https://trac.common-lisp.net/clo/wiki/TitleIndex>.  Are we going to
maintain this or migrate it to something else?

is nothing to compare to it now."