Git hooks for sending commits to a mailing list?

Erik Huelsmann ehuels at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 18:14:22 UTC 2015

Hi Raymond,

On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 6:49 PM, Raymond Toy <toy.raymond at gmail.com> wrote:

> Before the change over to gitlab, I had set up a git post-receive hook
> so that all commits were sent to the cmucl-commit (and cmucl-cvs) mailing
> lists.  (The hook also automatically updated a trac issue, but that
> seems not necessary anymore with gitlab.)

Right. That's not required anymore (updating the tickets). GitLab has it
built in. As does it have sending of e-mails built in.

I can't seem to find out how to do that now.

I knew this question would come, but couldn't find the time to write a nice
FAQ page about it yet. So, I've quickly taken some screenshots and uploaded
them in https://common-lisp.net/~ehuelsmann/uploads/ . I'll add the proze
later, but each step to take is a picture in that folder. Each next step is
the next-longer pathname.

> There's a page on web
> hooks, but I can't easily tell what I'm supposed to do with that.  I
> just want each commit to be sent to the cmucl-commit mailing list.

You don't want webhooks: those are remote triggers. At some point we may
want "custom hooks" which are local triggers for the specific install and
executed next to the GitLab built-in triggers.

Hope the screenshots help! If not, don't hesitate to ask!

http://efficito.com -- Hosted accounting and ERP.
Robust and Flexible. No vendor lock-in.