[Clo-devel] rsync down

Raymond Toy toy.raymond at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 03:36:01 UTC 2014

    Mark> On 10/5/14 16:58, Raymond Toy wrote:

    >>> Hmmm.  The 'rsync' binary is still present:
    >>>
    >>> what do you mean by "rsync" is down?  Did you use  something other than
    >>> "rsync through ssh connection"?
    >>>
    >> Sorry, I should have been clearer.  I've had a cronjob for years that
    >> basically does:
    >>
    >> rsync -av rsync://common-lisp.net/project/cmucl/cvsroot cmucl/cvsroot
    >>
    >> When I run this now, I get this error:

    Mark> Indeed rsyncd is not running as a service.

    Mark> Any reason you don't simply change your usage to:

    Mark>     rsync -avz rtoy at common.lisp.net:/project/cmucl/cvsroot cmucl/cvsroot

    Mark> using "rsync over ssh" instead of "rsyncd"?

Doesn't that require that I supply my password (or ssh credentials)?
I don't know how to do that in a crontab script.

Hmm. I just tried your suggestion. After about 30 sec, I get this:

ssh: connect to host common.lisp.net port 22: Operation timed out
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [Receiver]
rsync error: unexplained error (code 255) at io.c(605) [Receiver=3.0.9]

Perhaps I'm just being stupid. I've only used rsync to do these
backups and never used it for anything else.

Note that Bob Rogers was also doing an rsync backup of cmucl. (That's
how I found out about rsync not working; my monthly rsync job doesn't
run for another week.)

And some of the old mirrors of cmucl ran rsync too, but I'll have to
check to see if they're still running.

    Mark> If there is some reason that "rsync over ssh" won't work for you, holler
    Mark> back with some arguments with which I will escalate to discussion with
    Mark> the other admins.

It's not really a requirement to have rsyncd. I would just like some
way of grabbing the data that will work from a cron job so I can just
fire and forget.

IIRC, the old site didn't do backups so we were encouraged to do our
own, and I think rsync was one of the recommended ways.

--
Ray