[Clo-devel] Issue with the git repositories

Luís Oliveira luismbo at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 13:46:02 UTC 2014

"Mario S. Mommer" <mommer at moss-clad.net> writes:
> the problem is that a shallow fetch implies that a temporary file has
> to be written into the repository *by git-daemon*. Obviously, and for
> good reason, we didn't give git-daemon those permissions and I don't
> think we should. I expect the shallow fetch to work over ssh (can you
> confirm?).

I will try at home later today when I have access to my SSH key.
Thanks for the quick response!

> There is a recentish patch addressing this behavior (bug?) here:
>
> http://git.661346.n2.nabble.com/PATCH-upload-pack-allow-shallow-fetching-from-a-read-only-repository-td7604326.html
>
> How much of an issue is this for you?

I don't think this is a big issue.

This came up in the context of automated testing using Travis CI. Since
test runs start off from a pristine Linux installation, every run
involves cloning repositories. I was doing a shallow clone in the hope
it would be more efficient. I didn't even measure if it helped at all.

Cheers,
Luís