[clo-devel] Cron job to check available disk vs nagios?

dherring at tentpost.com dherring at tentpost.com
Fri Jun 10 19:39:50 UTC 2011

Binghe wrote:
> I've done a basic monitor program (RT ticket #24), checking all disk
> spaces every 5 minutes and send alert mails if
>
> * there's a disk which has over 90% full, and
> * no alert mail (for this disk) was sent during last check.

Sounds pretty good.  May I suggest tweaking the hysteresis?

With the logic as described, I would expect to get an alert email every 10
minutes.  It might be better to suppress alerts until a check sees that
the condition has cleared.  An extension might add a "low tide" reset mark
some distance  from the trigger level (e.g. <= 80%) to avoid small
oscillations around the 90% mark.

A low-frequency (i.e. daily or weekly) nag also helps keep persistent
issues from being forgotten.

Just trying to offer my experience if not my time.

- Daniel