[clo-devel] Huge trac.log's

Raymond Toy toy.raymond at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 03:17:28 UTC 2011

On 12/15/11 11:01 PM, Ingvar wrote:
> Ray writes:
>> Just noticed that there are huge trac.logs.  The cmucl trac log is 225
>> MB.  The oct and f2cl logs are huge too.
>>
>> Is there any script available to rotate the logs?
> It should be relatively ueasy to convince logrotate to include those in the
> normal log rotation.
>
> I don't know the path to the trac logs, but that aside, dropping a file with
> contents something like this into /etc/logrotate.d/ should do the trick:

I think all trac logs are in /project/<proj>/trac/log/trac.log.

I guess it would help a lot if I didn't have log_level = DEBUG, which
happens to be the value in the sample trac.ini.

> ----->8 Example trac.log rotate specification 8<------
> /path/to/trac.log {
>    weekly
>    missingok
>    rotate 5
>    compress
>    delaycompress
>    notifempty
> }
>
> There's a whole slew of tunables in there. Don't know if daily or monthly
> would be the right rotation cycle. Don't know how much historical log to save.
> I do think both "compress" (compress historical logs) and "delaycompress"
> (don't compress the first few rotated logs) make sense, but...

I think weekly is probably as often as needed, but I'm guessing.  I
don't know what the options mean, but I think an uncompressed current
log with all historical logs compressed is good.  I don't have a good
feel for how many logs to keep, but it seems 5 or so is decent.

Ray