[clo-devel] 2011-04-15: cl-net migration progress

Erik Huelsmann ehuels at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 20:21:32 UTC 2011

My work on cl-net migration got stuck a little on tech.coop internal
work this week. However, I'm fully back to the migration and I'm
making copies of /project and /home right now. I suppose I'll be
creating a copy of much inside /custom too, when the other two
transfers have finished.

At the same time, I'm trying to figure out how to best migrate
/etc/password- and /etc/group-. Anybody here done someting alike
before? I mean, I can't just copy it over, because the system accounts
shouldn't be overwritten. I suppose a 'grep -v' (for inverse matching)
should get us quite far filtering out system (uid<500)  accounts.

Another issue I'm thinking about is that we're going to switch to
subdomains for hosting our services. However, the benefits of such a
change seem low if we don't switch to a structure where our data is
also grouped per service. Currently everything is in /project, which
is grouped around projects, requiring all services to run on a single
server because they need to access specific directories - one in each
project.
I'm thinking we should reverse the design: grouping data per service
and making /project a set of symbolic links into the service
directories. That way, all that's required is that the links point to
the right locations in the file system, possibly NFS mount points, if
the service were to run on a different server.

Again, I'm interested in your comments and ideas.

Regards,