[clo-devel] upgrading: how do you (want to) use cl.net? [detected: very large home directories]

Raymond Toy toy.raymond at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 20:18:07 UTC 2011

    Erik> Ok. That's probably not too practical indeed. I've contacted
    Erik> some of the biggest users. Cleaning out some of the old
    Erik> cruft from their home directories made /home go down to a
    Erik> usage of 60%. With that percentage, I know our scaling
    Erik> doesn't need adapting. I'm considering how to deal with the
    Erik> situation for the future. On one hand I think installing a
    Erik> quota of 200MB on the /home directory of each user
    Erik> separately sounds sane and not too restrictive. Otoh, maybe
    Erik> with some monitoring, we can resolve the situation in a less
    Erik> strict way: after all, there's the request at sign-up to use
    Erik> the resources of cl.net

As one of the offenders (who has corrected his ways!), perhaps a
gentle email reminder sent out one a month or so for people who have
exceeded some soft quota would be sufficient?

I know a main reason for my excessive usage was that I forgot that I
had left some experimental tarballs and such around.  They were
supposed to be temporary for someone to try them out for me.  I just
plain forgot about them, so an email reminder would have let me know.

Ray