[clo-devel] Subversion import for armedbear project

Erik Huelsmann ehuels at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 20:27:54 UTC 2008

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 6:58 PM, Robin Luckey <robin at ohloh.net> wrote:
> Hi Erik,
>
> Our default Subversion import process is brute-force. It's not fast, but
> it's very robust.
>
> We first query the log to get the list of available revisions, and then we
> check out each revision in sequence. This happens in a single process loop,
> with a varying delay between each revision checkout. The delay time is
> mostly correlated with the time our server requires to determine the code
> delta and pack the resulting data -- usually only a few seconds.
>
> The problem we are having with the armedbear project is repeated "connection
> refused" errors during checkouts. Our system automatically reschedules the
> process after a progressively longer delay, but after a week it just gives
> up completely.
>
> We do have an alternate Subversion importer that creates a local repository
> mirror using svnsync. We use this importer with the major forges that we
> know support svnsync. This is much more efficient than sequential checkouts,
> so if the common-lisp.net server supports svnsync access, let me know and we
> can try using that method.

Since I didn't really know whether it supports it, I tried. As I'm
writing this, the commits are flying by my screen. So, I guess it
works. Additionally, I verified that the svnserve version installed is
1.4.2, meaning it really should support this.

> In the meantime, I've manually rescheduled the brute-force download. I'll
> add armedbear to my watch list and see if I can nurse the download through
> our system this week.

Thanks in advance for any progress you can make here! I guess you can
add common-lisp.net to the domains supporting svnsync.