[clo-devel] future of common-lisp.net

Mario S. Mommer mmommer at common-lisp.net
Wed Oct 19 18:22:55 UTC 2005

Hello,

There is a larguish problem with common-lisp.net. That problem simply
is that its main admin and otherwise responsible guy (that is, me),
has simply had more than enough of it. I just do not want to do this
any longer. I enjoyed it for a long time but that time has been over
for a while.

I don't think that things are going well with common-lisp.net as they
are. The projects page is abandoned. We are still running debian
woody. This sort of thing happens because I do not have the time, the
expertise, or simply the energy to do better, and because there is no
real infrastructure for sharing responsibilities. A project like this
should have one, but I don't have the energy nor the time of building
one.

Thus, I have decided to stop accepting new projects and begin to think
about a way out of this.

Perhaps someone else might want to take over, which means taking over
completely, including organizing the hosting. I will assist with
whatever help is needed for the transition, which, BTW, is fairly
simple. If you run a modern 2.6 kernel with masquerading capabilities,
common-lisp.net is just a single (resource-heavy) application. But
whoever takes over - be warned. Sooner or later you will have to solve
the infrastructure problem I mentioned above.

(And obviously, there is some selectivity about who might take over.)

If nobody feels like taking over, I will shut down common-lisp.net at
the end December 2005.

I'm sorry.

Regards,
        Mario.