[lists] Re: [clo-devel] Project proposal (Handling Spam (Was Payment Past Due, account))

Anthony Ventimiglia anthony at ventimiglia.org
Mon Nov 17 22:12:31 UTC 2003

Miles Egan writes:
 > On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 06:54, Nikodemus Siivola wrote:
 > > On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 03:23:56PM -0500, Anthony Ventimiglia wrote:
 > >
 > > > Now back to the subject since we talked about it, I'd like to start a
 > > > project "cl-bayes" that will be a Bayesian Patter filtering library.

[snip]

 > > Also, IMHO cl-bayes is really not quite kosher as far as names go:
 > > there are a zillion things a bayenesian filter can do, and a zillion
 > > ways it can be implementead. CL-BAYES and BAYES both suggests a
 > > certain naturality. How about some name that contains "bayes", but is
 > > not "it".

[snip]

 > I wonder if it's really a good thing for clo admins to exercise this
 > much control over projects, including their names.  Perhaps it would be
 > better to just dispense names on a first come, first serve basis?  I'm
 > worried that this will come across as heavy handed.

Miles, I can understand your point, but I think this is kind of a
special case. The proposal kind of came out of a thread I had with
Nikodemus about spam filtering for clo, so I don't really feel like he
was overstepping any bounds by making the suggestion. And really
that's all it was, a suggestion, no more no less.

In this case (as I have posted in the reply to his suggestion) I
really didn't have much of an attatchment to the name, and in fact I
welcome any input if someone has ideas for a more applicable name.

Cheers,

Anthony

--
(incf *yankees-world-series-losses*)