[clo-devel] Re: [lists] Re: Re: Payment Past Due, account

Erik Enge eenge at prium.net
Thu Nov 13 15:38:38 UTC 2003

Anthony Ventimiglia <anthony at ventimiglia.org> writes:

> Um er "Package" in Lispspeak

Actually, no.  Look at Franz' FTP server (opensource.franz.com) which is
most definitely a package but hardly a library.  Much better would it
have been if Franz wrote an FTP server library and then wrote their FTP
server on top of it.  Then, if I thought they approach on the FTP server
was poor and wanted to do it differently I wouldn't have to implement
the library all over again.

In Lisp the technical difference between application and library is
certainly less clear than in (for example) C but the programmer still
have to think about how others will his software for it to become a good
library.

> Well now you've given me incentive. The Bayesian end is pretty much
> complete, And writing a working filter should be pretty easy. I want
> to give it a HTTP frontend (via clhp) to make control easier, kind of
> like the way Popfile works, I could make the filter work as a daemon,
> which would filter every message that comes in and add an extra header
> indicating the "Classification" (Bayesian filter allow for more than
> just Spam and non-spam). Then you could use procmail to filter based
> on the header. I don't know how it would integrate so if you could
> give me some insight, I could design it to fit.

We use Exim at the moment and /etc/aliases to shovel mail into Mailman.
I think Exim has some features to redirect messages into your software
and then back out again.