[climacs-devel] Re: Climacs group stuff

Troels Henriksen athas at sigkill.dk
Thu Sep 7 18:20:46 UTC 2006

John Q <splittist at yahoo.com> writes:

> So if I have gone to the trouble of designating a
> bunch of buffers for a series of Query Replaces, and
> then want to do a Query Replace only in one of those
> buffers before continuing to work with the Group, what
> do I do?

In the current implementation, every group must have a name, so you
deselect the group, perform your operation on the current group, and
reselect the group based on its name. Perhaps this kind of operation
is common enough that a Select Previous Group command is needed?

>> > (Eventually this leads to Possibilities Buffers à
>> la Zmacs.)
>>
>> What are these?
>
> I've never been entirely sure myself, but I'll try to
> find a description.
>
> I've periodically been inspired by things like this
> from an old (well, 1999) Kent Pitman email
> (http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.lisp/msg/b2c0190dc30c3e5f?&q=zmacs+possibilities+buffer):

Wow, they sound pretty cool - the ability to pause when iterating
though the buffers of a group does not exist in the Climacs
implementation, but I can't imagine it would be too hard to
implement. I think the Climacs design of having commands automatically
operate on groups, and just having the "current buffer" as a special
group, is more elegant than using on-the-fly calculated TAGS tables,
though. :-)

--
\  Troels "Athas"
/\ Henriksen