[climacs-devel] Re: Fwd: "Vial" mode for Climacs?

Brad Beveridge brad.beveridge at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 15:15:07 UTC 2006

On 26/10/06, Brad Beveridge <brad.beveridge at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 26/10/06, John Q Splittist <splittist at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Troels Henriksen <athas <at> sigkill.dk> writes:
> > >
> > > In that case, I'd recommend that you start out by using Climacs as a
> > > library (switch to the Climacs buffer protocol, perhaps the syntaxes,
> > > etc) in an independent application, and wait a while before attempting
> > > to implement Vial in Climacs.
> >
> > I agree with this.
> >
> > My suggestion would be:
> >
> > * Use the buffer protocol.
> >
> > * Use the parts of the syntaxes that parse and display the buffer.
> >
> > * Make your own application frame, with your own command parser (but look at
> > what ESA gives you for gesture-handling, too), but have panes and buffers
> > inherit from the Climacs ones.
> >
> > * Reuse as much of the functionality underlying the Climacs commands as you
> > can (movement, file handling etc.). If stuff needs to be moved out of a
> > command definition into a supporting function, that is probably a good thing.
> >
> > * Extend the Swine functionality to talk to a remote lisp (:
> That is certainly the plan.  I've already done at least some work with
> Slime in another partial project I started, Slim-Vim.  I'm not having
> a great time getting a working Vim-like editor with Slime support yet
> am I?
Sorry, I sent that prematurely - fat fingers.  From chatting to Troels
and some others this morning on #lisp, it appears that the fastest
path is to take what I like from Climacs, and do the rest myself.  So
my current thinking is to distill out the parts of Climacs that fit
(I'm hoping to grab: buffer, undo, syntax and editing features).  That
line of thinking is probably where my future questions will be
directed.

Cheers
Brad