[climacs-devel] Re: Climacs - self documenting editor?

Troels Henriksen athas at sigkill.dk
Fri May 5 13:54:12 UTC 2006

John Q Splittist <splittist at yahoo.com> writes:

> As always, counter-arguments are welcome.

I don't think it is a good idea to put entire docstrings on one line
merely because we do not want hard word-wrapping when outputting
them. Instead, I think that the function `print-docstring-for-command'
should perform a bit of parsing before displaying the docstring, such
as removing single linebreaks (but preserving double linebreaks to
allow for paragraphs). That way the docstring will be properly folded
with respect to the size of the pane, but the docstrings can still be
written in a way that is easily editable in a text-editor (ie. under
80 characters in width per line).

Parsing the docstring in `print-docstring-for-command' would also
allow other neat tricks, such as hyperlinking word sets like
Uppercased Words to the documentation for the command with the
respective name (if any).

--
\  Troels "Athas" Henriksen
/\ - Insert witty signature