[climacs-devel] Re: [Gardeners] RFG climacs docstrings

John Q Splittist splittist at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 17 10:21:29 UTC 2006

Robert Strandh <strandh <at> labri.fr> writes:

>  > (a) "An implementation is permitted to discard documentation strings at
>  > any time for implementation-defined reasons." and
>
> Do we know of any implementation we care about that does
> that?

Having done a super-quick test, no.

So, to summarise this discussion:

* An interesting thing to do would be to provide commands with documenting
functions, that would know how to render themselves onto a supplied
stream/view. This would allow for maximum flexibility and the use of the full
power of the clim system (text styles, presentations etc).

* In the mean time, just adding a docstring to the define-command form works.

Creighton, as Robert suggested, the best thing is probably to send diffs to
this list. That way people will have their chance of editorial intervention
prior to my (or Robert) committing them (a chance they will have to be quick
to grasp...).

JQS