[climacs-devel] Unicode support in Climacs

Troels Henriksen athas at sigkill.dk
Tue Jan 10 22:08:56 UTC 2006

Being Danish, I care a lot about being able to use Danish special
characters (æøåÆØÅ) in a text editor. Some of you may have seen my
posts about Unicode-support in McCLIM on mcclim-devel, but it turned
out that the hack I used did not work in Climacs. As far as I can see,
Climacs' Unicode-support lives in unicode-commands.lisp. I have
attached a patch permitting the use of Danish special characters (and
only those, this patch is meant as a demonstration) in Climacs,
provided you have enabled them in McCLIM, for example using the method
outlined at the bottom of http://mcclim.cliki.net/Tip.

The fix involved removing parts of the gesture (for example
"(:dead--tilde :shift)") and replacing the (placeholder?) character
with the true Unicode character. Would this method used on all
characters listed in unicode-commands.lisp be a proper solution, or
does my approach break something else? If this is really the proper
way to go, then the hardest part will be tracking down the characters
to put in the file. :-)