[climacs-devel] Climacs - self documenting editor?

Max-Gerd Retzlaff m.retzlaff at gmx.net
Wed Apr 26 13:54:42 UTC 2006

Hello

On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 11:22:13AM +0100, Christophe Rhodes wrote:
> Christophe Rhodes <csr21 at cam.ac.uk> writes:
>
> > Does anyone know of any other reason that [argumentless commands
> > calling accept] was done?
>
> Shortly after writing this, I found another reason, or at least a
> consequence: the ability simply to set key sequences to command names,
> and have the toplevel pretend to do the right thing.  My changes will
> require settings of the form
>   (esa:set-key `(com-find-file ,*unsupplied-argument-marker*)
>                'buffer-table
>                '((#\x :control) (#\f :control)))
> for commands with arguments, rather than simply
>   (esa:set-key 'com-find-file 'buffer-table '((#\x :control) (#\f :control)))
> can people live with that?

There is CLIMI::PARTIAL-COMMAND-FROM-NAME that might do a better job
than manual construction of the forms as it fills in all required
arguments. It's not part of the CLIM specification, though.

But in my taste the user (of CLIM) should not have to distinguish
between partial and non-partial commands. That's something you have to
care about by yourself *under some condition* when using McCLIM
(e.g. when there is no input context), and that should be changed.

In the meantime at least esa:set-key should "expand" the partial commands,
so that one can still write the non-expanded command name with the new
command parser.

Nice (and necessary) work, Christophe!

Bye,
Max

--
Max-Gerd Retzlaff <m.retzlaff at gmx.net>       http://blog.matroid.org

For your amusement:
In the Halls of Justice the only justice is in the halls.
		-- Lenny Bruce