[climacs-devel] Climacs - self documenting editor?

Troels Henriksen athas at sigkill.dk
Mon Apr 24 18:58:38 UTC 2006

Climacs is severely lacking in the self-documenting aspect of The
Emacs Way. ESA has a few functions that can be used to find out about
available commands, but that's it. I believe the facilities in ESA
should be expanded, but, unfortunately, ESA does not have the concept
of a typeout-pane, and the minibuffer is far too small for complete
documentation, so these functions will have to present their
documentation to a user-provided string. I have attached a file to
this post that contains code for an implementation of the C-h f and
C-h k help commands from Emacs. My idea is that the functions should
go in ESA and the command definitions in the applications
themselves. In this case, I've just put everything in the CLIMACS-GUI
package though. Please comment on my approach (and start writing
docstrings ;-).